How do I take care of my mouth after an extraction?
After coming to our Midwest City, OK office for extractions, you will receive a list of instructions to follow once you get home. These instructions are designed to promote healing so you can get back to your normal routine as quickly as possible.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Don’t use a straw. The sucking motion can dislodge the blood clot that is forming over the extraction site as it heals. It causes a condition known as dry socket, which is quite painful.
- Don’t smoke cigarettes. The sucking motion of smoking can also disturb the blood clot, leading to dry socket.
- Stick to soft foods in the days immediately following the extraction. Yogurt, mashed potatoes, applesauce, and the like will be the easiest for you to eat.
- Avoid anything crunchy until the site has completely healed.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers to relieve any mild discomfort you might have in the days after the procedure.
- Give us a call if you are experiencing more pain rather than less in the days following the tooth extraction.
Although always a treatment of last resort, sometimes extractions are necessary. At our Midwest City, OK office, Dr. Amaya will make you comfortable during the