Are tooth-colored fillings better than amalgam fillings?
Although the word “better” can be subjective, there are certain advantages that patients obtain from tooth-colored fillings rather than amalgam fillings.
- Tooth-colored fillings are virtually undetectable because they are made to blend in with the color of your natural tooth.
- Tooth-colored fillings are well suited for the front of the mouth because they are so discreet.
- Tooth-colored fillings bond directly to the tooth; this means that less of the tooth needs to be drilled away, leaving more of the natural tooth structure intact.
- Tooth-colored fillings are stronger than amalgam fillings because they bond directly to the tooth.
- Teeth are less likely to fracture with tooth-colored fillings because they are not as sensitive to expansion and contraction from temperature changes as are amalgam fillings.
- Although the American Dental Association stands behind research that indicates amalgam fillings are safe, many people still have concerns about the presence of mercury in this type of filling. With tooth-colored fillings, made of composite materials such as glass and plastic, none of these concerns exist.
If you need a cavity filled or if you would like your old metal fillings replaced, come to our Midwest City, OK practice, and we can advise you on tooth-colored fillings.