What are some common misconceptions about dental implants?
Dental implants are considered the gold standard when it comes to tooth replacement. They provide better aesthetics and better function than dentures or bridges. But many people have misconceptions about dental implants because they don’t know enough about them.
- People think you can tell you have dental implants, much in the same way that you can often tell a person is wearing dentures. This is not true because dental implants are integrated into the jawbone and topped with a dental crown for a completely natural look. There is no risk of movement or slipping as there is with dentures either, making implants seem even more natural
- People think there is a long recovery period with implants—in fact, too long to make them practical. If you ask the vast majority of people who have had dental implants, they will tell you that the two to four months of healing time was well worth it in the end. (Remember, there is also a recovery period with dentures!)
- People think the dental implant procedure is painful. With today’s modern dental anesthetics, this is not true. You shouldn’t feel a thing during the procedure, and most people describe it as much less scary than they anticipated
- People think dental implants are difficult to take care of, but all you need to do is brush and floss. It’s also important to keep up with routine visits to the dentist for examinations and cleanings.
- People think dental implants are too expensive, but if you break down the costs over the long-term, it actually makes more sense to opt for dental implants. They just last longer than dentures!
Don’t let misconceptions about dental implants in Del City, OK keep you from looking into this life-changing option for tooth replacement!